2019 AKG Internship
November 2, 2019
AlexKAZAM Gymnastics (AKG) Internship Program
AlexKAZAM Gymnastics is a fitness startup whose vision is to create a world-wide community of adult gymnasts. We are on a mission to elevate and coach our clients to maximize their full human potential!
As we age, injuries happen, we become sedentary and our bodies change. Fuelled by the mantra that movement is medicine, AKG believes in building healthier bodies through a focus on foundational gymnastic strength training, body movement and body recovery programming. Our system is currently offered at select gyms and workshops around Ottawa, with the focus of online program development for early 2019.
To build our social, dedicated and engaged community even further, we are seeking participants for theAKG Internship Program. If you are a motivated and dedicated individual who believes in working hard, training hard and playing hard -- and above all applying high quality gymnastics bodyweight training to improving health and fitness -- apply now to intern with AlexKAZAM!
AKG is currently operating at the Ottawa Gymnastics Centre (OGC, 294 Elmgrove Avenue, Ottawa, ON K1Z 6V1, Canada).
- A confident, positive and charismatic attitude.
- Punctuality and reliability.
- The ability to show qualities as a student. (Honest, positive, attentive, humble, self - aware)
- The ability to exude the AKG brand and programming lifestyle.
- The leadership ability to coach classes comprising 8-12 adults (18-65 years old).
- The physical ability to properly execute any gymnastic skill that you will help teach.
- NCCP Gymnastics Level 1 certification (must have completed before assisting with any classes and can be taken during enrollment of the internship program).
- A background in competitive gymnastics.
- Active involvement in the gymnastics or health and fitness community.
- Interest in organizing AKG community events, videos and participation in Open Gym nights.
- Experience enabling you to understand optimal body movement, and how to help troubleshoot and alleviate body limitations.
You’ll be working on:
- The commitment to complete 200 hours of internship time featuring the following breakdown
- 80 hours of training (attending AKG classes & open gyms) (previous training with AKG prior to internship program can be considered)
- 30 hours of coaches training & group discussions - covering 10 modules of AK
- 30 hours of shadowing group class coaching
- 40 hours of group class assistant coaching
- 10 hours of filming, social media or AKG personal projects
- 8 hours of programming generation
- Assisting AKG coaches run their program, which may include:
- Leading warm-ups.
- Demonstrating drills & skills for clients.
- Maintaining safety in group classes.
- Helping with class set-up and clean-up.
- Supporting and promoting the AKG brand and community
AKG Modules of Adult Gymnastics Training (30 hours of group training, dates to be confirmed)
Module 2 - Gymnastics Bridge & Skin The Cat Mobility (Jan 26th, 12:30 - 4:30pm)
Module 5 - Handstand Balance & Press to Handstand (March 30th, 12:30 - 5:30pm) Module 6 - Lower Body Strength & Mobility (March 30th 12:30 -5:30pm)
Module 7 - Bent Arm Strength, Skills & Mobility (March 31st, 8:30 - 1:30pm)
Module 8 - Straight Arm Strength, Skills & Mobility (March 31st, 8:30 - 1:30pm) Module 9 - Rings Strength, Skills & Mobility (May 11th, 12:30 - 3:30pm)
Module 10 - Adult Gymnastics Apparatus & Skills (May 29th, 8:00 - 10:00pm)
What you’ll receive in exchange for your time:
- Note: This is an unpaid internship, consider this a free 150 hour workshop.
- Improve your coaching skills and knowledge around a holistic approach to training through gymnastics strength and mobility, and full body movements.
- AKG classes and Open Gym time (20h45 to 22h45; Mon., Wed., Fri. nights) at the OGC
- Featured in AKG marketing material such, AKG website and all social media.
- Mentorship from national-level gymnastic coaches to help you pursue your personal goals and lifestyle improvements.
- Networking with elite Ottawa and industry professionals in the fields of gymnastics, fitness, and movement expertise.
Here’s how to apply:
- Please send us a personalized cover letter addressing the following questions:
- Tell us about yourself:
- How you meet/exceed the above criteria.
- How you work and play.
- Currently, what is your main form of fitness training and who are your main influencers?
- What has been your most recent training breakthrough?
- What has drawn you to the AKG program and why does it resonate with you?
- What aspects of personal growth are you looking to explore by interning with the AKG program? (e.g.: lifestyle, personal goals, business ideas, future coaching aspirations, etc.)
- Tell us about yourself:
- Email your response to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading: “AKG INTERNSHIP APPLICATION”
- Deadline to apply is November 10th.